Our Princess Garden was almost complete at the end of the last entry, but we brought in the big guns (my husband) to make some neat wood projects that make the garden even more amazing. He made wooden mushrooms, fence panels, and a ladder for the princesses to get up to their garden.
MushroomsTaking inspiration from The Magic Onions, we decided to add mushrooms to our garden.
Here's what you'll need:
- Sphere halves (sold at a craft store, 6 per pack)
- 1/2" Diameter dowel rod
- Patio paint- red & white
1. Drill holes in tops.To make his life easier, my husband drilled a hole through the center of each sphere half, slightly smaller than the nails he used.
2. Cut dowel rod.He marked 6 2" long sections on the dowel rod and cut using a saw. The remaining piece of the dowel rod was saved for the top of the ladder.
3. Paint tops.Our Miniature Master Gardener did this step. She painted the tops red. After they were dry, she added white dots.
4. Nail tops onto the stems.And you're done! Amazing little decorations for the amount of effort. They are probably the two-year-old's favorite thing about the Princess Garden as she is constantly rearranging them.
For each panel, you will need:
- 7 popsicle sticks
- wood glue (preferably outdoor safe)
1. Cut the popsicle sticks in half.Cut 3 of the popsicle sticks in half. Set 1 half aside for another panel (or something else).
2. Lay out the pieces.Arrange 5 stick halves parallel to each other, about 1/4" apart. Place one of the whole sticks on either side, parallel to the others with the tops (round edges) flush.
3. Glue.Run a line of glue along the remaining sticks. Place them glue side down onto the other sticks, so that one stick runs 1/2" below all 7 tops and the other stick runs across the bottoms of the half sticks and the middle of the whole sticks. See the picture if I've completely confused you.
|Mushroom, Ladder, and Fence|
LadderOur princesses were using the vine to climb up to their garden, but they decided the vine was starting to look a little worn and they needed a ladder instead.
- 16 Popsicle sticks
- 1/2" diameter dowel rod
- Safety wire
- Wood glue
1. Cut the sticks.Using a saw, cut 8 of the popsicle sticks in half. Cut the dowel rod into 2 sections approximately 4-6 inches long.
3. Wire it together.Lay out the panels end to end. Using safety wire, connect the adjoining holes. Be sure to twist them together tightly and tuck all sharp ends under. At the top of the ladder, use safety wire to attach the dowel rod pieces. Stick the dowel rods into the soil.
And we're done!Well, we're done for now. Our Master Gardener has mentioned painting the fence and some other projects. I'll be sure to keep you posted if we add anything. For now, they are enjoying the garden. Here are some pictures of the completed project.
|Rearranging the Mushrooms|